ECV1850 Plaque:
John Young House
(Cottage No. 2)


[ Photo of plaque wide. ]


[ Photo of plaque close. ]


JOHN YOUNG HOUSE
(COTTAGE No. 2)
THIS RESTORED HOUSE IS ONE OF THE
ORIGINAL HOMES IN THE TOWN OF NEW
ALMADEN, WHICH ORIGINALLY WAS CALLED
HACIENDA. THE HOUSE WAS BUILT IN
1847 BY BARRON FORBES MINING CO.
AND OWNED BY THE MINING COMPANY
UNTIL ITS BANKRUPTCY IN 1912.
THE COTTAGE WAS FIRST OCCUPIED BY
JOHN YOUNG, A NATIVE OF SCOTLAND,
WHO WAS A TRADER AND MASTER OF
VESSELS ON THE COAST. IN THE FALL
OF 1847, HE ARRIVED HERE WITH
ALEXANDER FORBES AND A SIZEABLE
CREW OF WORKERS, AND BECAME SUPER-
INTENDENT OF THE INITIAL MINING
OPERATIONS. YOUNG DIED IN SAN
FRANCISCO IN 1864.
DEDICATED SEPTEMBER 12, 1981
BY THE BRIAN LEDIG FAMILY AND
MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER No. 1850
E CLAMPUS VITUS

 Victorian Bar

THIS PROPERTY
JOHN YOUNG HOUSE
HAS BEEN PLACED ON THE
NATIONAL REGISTRY
OF HISTORIC PLACES
BY THE UNITED STATES
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

 Victorian Bar

This plaque located at
21474 Almaden Road
New Almaden.
Santa Clara County, CA.

GPS
  John Young House  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.17809°
W 121.82094°




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.