|TOWN OF COYOTE|
The Town of Coyote was established on a popular route known as El Camino Real by |
the Mexicans who traveled it. This route linked Missions throughout California.
Originally named Burnett, Coyote developed around a post office that was housed in a
stage stop and drinking saloon known as "12-Mile House." (The Coyote Stage Stop sign
next door still marks the location of the original 12-Mile House.) Because the Coyote
POST OFFICE was founded in 1860, for a time it was considered the oldest functioning
post office in Santa Clara County. To this day, area residents still collect their mail at the
same post office location.
In 1882, the residents changed the town's name from Burnett to Coyote, mmost likely
due to the large population of coyotes in the valley. As the population grew, so did the
ranches and farms that produced fruits, vegetables, and walnuts. The railroad added a
stop in town, which enabled local growers to ship their crops out to market. A lumber
company came next. It took advantage of the rail stop by constructing its lumber mill
near the tracks. Through much of the 1900s, the town of Coyote was quite a bustling
community, and when automobiles became popular, the residents of Coyote took
advantage of their centralized location by opening more roadside diners, stores, hotels,
and attractions that catered to travelers and families. However, when highway 101 was
completed in 1983, traffic through Coyote decreased as more cars drove on the freeway.
The Coyote Grange building was built by volunteers of the Coyote Public Hall
Association in 1902 on land donated Fiacro Fisher and his family as a public hall for
community meetings, school, and social gatherings. Fisher had been given the land as
part of a Mexican land grant. Eventually, the Association died out and the hall fell into
neglect. In 1923, a community group of women, having outgrown meeting in their
homes, decided to fix up the hall and meet there. They called themselves "The Encinal
Womens Club." In 1925, they rented the hall to the newly organized Coyote Grange. Ten
years later, the Encinal Women's Club acquired clear title to the building. On May
1949, the hall and surrounding gardens were purchased by the Coyote Grange, which
still uses it for their activities today. In addition to Grange activities, the hall and garden
are used for a wide variety of social events and community gatherings.
Officially, the Coyote Grange is Chapter 412 of the California State Grange and the
National Grange of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry.
Dedicated 2022 |
California Pioneers of Santa Clara County
Mountain Charlie Chapter #1850
E Clampus Vitus.
Coyote Grange Hall