ECV1850 Plaque:
Captain Elisha Stephens


Photo of plaque wide


Photo of plaque closeup


CAPTAIN ELISHA STEPHENS
1804-1887
A True Pioneer
Captain Stephens brought the first wagons
over the snow covered Sierra Nevada
Truckee Pass with no casualties in the
Stephens-Murphy-Townsend party of 1844,
arriving at Sutter's Fort with 11 wagons
and 51 people plus 2 infants born on the
way. Later wagon trains followed his
trail less well. A blacksmith by trade,
Elisha served under Commodore Stockton in
ordnance in the Mexican war, 1846-48.

Stephens was the first American
resident to homestead 160 acres in
"Westside" (Cupertino) in 1848 which he
called Blackberry Farm. In 1859, he added
155.57 acres from the Rancho San Antonio,
making 315.57 acres. His favorite food was
the ever-available rattlesnake. In 1862, he
sold all his properties to George McCauley
and William McClellan, respectively
because the area had become
"Too Durn Civilized!"
Dedicated April 1, 1995 by
The CA-NV chapter of the
Oregon-California Trail Association,
Cupertino Historical Society,
City of Cupertino,
Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850
E Clampus Vitus

"RIGHT WRONGS NOBODY"

Victorian Bar

This plaque is located at the
Blue Phesant Bar and Grill
22100 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Cupertino.
Santa Clara County, CA.

At Phar Lap Drive, in the south-west
corner of the Blue Phesant's parking lot.


Note: Stevens Creek Boulevard was named for
Elisha Stephens, with a change in spelling.

GPS
  Elisha Stephens  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.32250°
W 122.06028°




Hand pointing left Return to PLAQUE MENU.
Hand pointing left Return to MAIN MENU.