ECV1850 Plaque:
Community of San Martin


[ Photo of plaque wide. ]

[ Photo of plaque closeup. ]


COMMUNITY OF
SAN MARTIN
MARTIN MURPHY, A NATIVE OF IRELAND, AND
HIS LARGE FAMILY CAME TO CALIFORNIA IN
1844 AND SETTLED ON THE SAN FRANCISCO DE
LAS LLAGAS GRANT, WHICH WAS LATER PATENTED
TO DANIEL MURPHY, ONE OF HIS SONS. AS A
DEVOUT ROMAN CATHOLIC, MARTIN MURPHY
FOLLOWED THE SPANISH CUSTOM AND NAMED
HIS SETTLEMENT IN HONOR OF HIS PATRON
SAINT, ST. MARTIN OF TOURS.

THE MURPHY-STEVENS-TOWNSEND WAGON TRAIN
LEFT COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA, IN MAY 1844. THE
TRAIL THAT THEY MADE OPENED THE EMIGRANT
TRAIL FOR THE DONNER PARTY TWO YEARS
LATER AND BECAME THE ROUTE OF THE
TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD THROUGH THE
SIERRA MOUNTAINS.
DEDICATED JUNE 11, 1983 BY THE
CITIZENS OF THE COMMUNITY OF SAN MARTIN
AND MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER No.1850
E CLAMPUS VITUS

"RIGHT WRONGS NOBODY"

 Victorian Bar

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED POINT OF
HISTORIC INTEREST No. SCL-054

 Victorian Bar

This plaque located in the
traffic island planter area,
on the North-West corner of
Monterey Road and
San Martin Avenue.
(Near 13305 Monterey Road)
San Martin.
Santa Clara County, CA.

GPS
  San Martin  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.08498°
W 121.61861°




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.

-----------------------------20072377098235644401115438165 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="userfile"; filename="" Content-Type: application/octet-stream