Patchen:
State Registered
Landmark No. 448


[ Photo of plaque wide. ]


[ Photo of plaque closeup. ]


PATCHEN
"MOUNTAIN CHARLIE" McKIERNAN, ONE OF THE EARLIEST
RESIDENTS OF THE SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS, SETTLED
NEAR HERE IN 1850, AND JOHN MARTIN SCHULTHEIS AND
HIS WIFE HOMESTEADED LAND ABOUT A MILE FROM
HERE IN 1852. THEIR HOME WAS STILL STANDING (1950).
THE PATCHEN POST OFFICE, NAMED FOR A FAMOUS
RACE HORSE, WAS LOCATED IN THIS VICINITY 1872-1920's.
 
STATE REGISTERED LANDMARK No. 448

TABLET PLACED BY CALIFORNIA CENTENNIAL COMMISSION
BASE FURNISHED BY LOS GATOS LIONS CLUB
DEDICATED MAY 20, 1950

 Victorian Bar

RESTORED BY
LOS GATOS CHAPTER DAR
1968

 Victorian Bar

Note: Although this is not an ECV monument, it deserves
a special place among those honoring Mountain Charlie.

This monument is located in the Santa Cruz Mountains,
at the intersection of Old Santa Cruz Highway (P.M.3.57) and
Mountain Charlie Road. (1.2 Miles South-East of Holy City.
Santa Clara County, CA


From Highway 17, take the Summit Road exit.
Go East a short distance to Mountain Charlie Road.
Turn on Mountain Charlie Road and follow it east (downhill)
to Old Santa Cruz Highway.
The Patchen monument is in the small turnout area,
on the other side of the intersection.

GPS
  Patchen  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.14862°
W 121.97443°




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.