ECV1850 Plaque:
Helper City.
(Utah)



[ Photo of plaque closeup. ]


HELPER CITY
THIS VALLEY WAS ORIGINALLY SETTLED IN
1881 BY TEANCUM PRATT. THE ORIGINAL
PRATT SURVEY STILL PREDOMINATES ON
MAPS OF THIS AREA. HE SOLD LAND TO
THE RIO GRANDE WESTERN RAILROAD FOR
A RIGHT OF WAY. BY THE FALL OF 1887
THE RAILROAD HAD BUILT 27 FRAME RESI-
DENCES AND FROM THIS START THE TOWN
CONTINUED TO GROW. WITH THE COMPLETION
OF THE STANDARD GAUGING OF TRACK IN
1891, THE TERMINAL WAS ESTABLISHED IN
THIS AREA.

IT TOOK EXTRA ENGINES TO PUSH TRAINS
OVER SOLDIER SUMMIT. THESE EXTRA
LOCOMOTIVES WERE CALLED "HELPERS"
AND IT WAS FROM THIS SOURCE THAT
HELPER WAS NAMED.

WITH A MIXED POPULATION OF PRACTI-
CALLY EVERY NATIONALITY, HELPER GREW
INTO A BOOMING TOWN. IN 1907 HELPER
TOWNSHIP WAS INCORPORATED.
 
DEDICATED BY MATT WARNER CHAPTER No. 1900
AND
MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER No. 1850
E CLAMPUS VITUS
JULY 11, 1987

 Victorian Bar

Plaque is located in the
lawn in front of City Hall.
Helper.
Carbon County, Utah.

GPS*
  Helper  
(Utah)
WGS84 Datum
N 39.69086°
W 110.86029°
*Approximate




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.