ECV1850 Plaque:
F.E. Cornell's Country Store


[ Photo of plaque wide. ]


[ Photo of plaque closeup. ]


F.E. CORNELL'S COUNTRY STORE
THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED IN OCTOBER OF 1897
AS F.E. CORNELL'S COUNTRY EMPORIUM, THE
FIRST COMMERCIAL BUILDING IN TOWN. IN
DECEMBER 1897, A CORNER OF THE STORE WAS
SET ASIDE AS A POST OFFICE AND OFFICIALLY
DESIGNATED "ENCINAL". SINCE ANOTHER POST
OFFICE WAS OPERATING UNDER A SIMILAR NAME,
CORNELL WAS REQUIRED TO CHANGE THE NAME
OF THE POST OFFICE. IN 1901 BOTH THE POST
OFFICE AND TOWN WERE OFFICIALLY NAMED
"SUNNYVALE".

VARIOUS ENTERPRISES HAVE OCCUPIED PORTIONS
OF THIS BUILDING. IN THE HEYDAY OF CANNERIES,
THIS POPULAR WATERING HOLE WAS OPEN 24
HOURS A DAY.
DEDICATED OCTOBER 10, 1992 BY
MOUNTAIN CHARLIE CHAPTER No. 1850
E CLAMPUS VITUS

"RIGHT WRONGS NOBODY"

 Victorian Bar

This plaque is located at
103 Murphy Avenue
Sunnyvale.
Santa Clara County, CA.

At the corner of Evelyn Avenue.
Currently: Thai Basil Restaurant.

GPS
  Cornell's Store  
WGS84 Datum
N 37.37755°
W 122.03004°




[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to PLAQUE MENU.
[ Hand pointing left. ] Return to MAIN MENU.